Are you thinking of taking a trip abroad this year, but can’t decide where to go? Let me convince you why you should visit Bali at least once in your life.
It is an amazing island full of friendly people, delicious food, and oh so many things to do. Best of all, it is affordable.
My First Visit
A few years ago, I was an exchange student and visited Bali on a cooking expedition/vacation. I spent a night in Kuta, a popular tourist town, but later went to Ubud, a more artsy area known for the film Eat, Pray, Love.
Ubud was my “home base” for the trip and it was incredible. Bali is now a part of my soul.
Here’s 10 reasons you should visit Bali.
1. The Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary. You can see monkeys in the open as you walk through a beautiful forest sanctuary. The monkeys are cute, but when they scream and fight, you might be tempted to run. Don’t worry though. You’ll be fine. Even if a monkey decides to jump on you! I only saw it happen once. No, twice. Either way, the memories will stay with you forever.
2. Diverse Range of Activities. Enjoy an introductory cooking class on Balinese cuisine. The best part is eating all the authentic food and getting a cookbook at the end as a keepsake. If you aren’t into cooking, you can choose from a wide-range of other activities. Check out a cultural performance or take a bike ride through villages!
“I got a massage almost every day.”
3. Massages and Spas. You wouldn’t believe how much it costs to get a massage in Bali. It feels almost wrong. Without sounding too indulgent, I actually got a massage almost every day and it didn’t break bank. This is why you visit Bali! To relax and unwind.
4. Incredible Views of Rice Fields and Terraces. I decided to trek the rice fields where I met people from around the world and I even discovered a few pieces of art to take home.
5. The Markets and Shopping. If you love markets with local crafts and fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as pretty local boutiques, you’ll find a lot of that in Bali! I found unique souvenirs to take back home.
6. Balinese Coffee. If you are a coffee aficionado, you will want to visit Bali. You might be interested in Kopi Luwak. This is the crazy part about the coffee. A cat-like animal digests the coffee cherries, excretes it, and somehow makes the coffee beans turn into an outstanding product. Yes, excretes it. However, it’s supposed to be one of the “finest” coffees around.
7. Balinese Food. Need I say more? I still think about the black rice pudding and the delicious sate. If you for some reason do not like Balinese food (I would be shocked), then you still have variety of global cuisine to choose from. There’s so much to eat in Bali. It is incredible.
8. Affordable Hotels. If you are a back-packer on a major budget, you could literally rent a decent room of your own for $15.00 with breakfast. In Kuta, I found it more expensive, but the hotels were very nice.
9. Beaches and Surfing. Bali is a great surfing destination, but also a place where you can relax on the beach! For me, the water looked rough, but it was nice to be around the ocean! Surfers love Bali. I can see why.
10. Temples. It is not everyday that we get to explore temples. In Bali, there are many you can visit. They are beautiful to tour and are often full of culture and history.
I Hope You Visit One Day
I hope my room above didn’t scare you away! Don’t worry, there are way better places to stay for a little more in Bali.
That’s the beauty of Bali. There are many price ranges to fit different needs. However, everyone gets to experience the beauty of the island and what it has to offer.
Bali is for everyone and you’ll leave your vacation with some fantastic memories!
I can’t wait to return someday soon. I’m already missing it.
If you have been to Bali before, what was your most memorable experience? What about a favorite food or place you visited?