(Note: this was posted from a previous blog I had, sporkandpan.com. Hope you enjoy!)
After making Blueberry Mochi (which my husband, nephew, and I scarfed down), I thought I would try a new flavor. My nephew thought it would be good to try a strawberry version, so when I saw strawberry rhubarb pie filling I knew I had to put the regular strawberry filling aside to try the one with rhubarb in it.
I have no idea why I’m so obsessed with strawberry rhubarb flavors because I’m terrified to actually cook it myself. Supposedly, the leaves are toxic, so if you do make anything rhubarb from scratch, I would look up instructions and follow them carefully!
This recipe is EASY especially for mamas like me with little time on my hands. It’s an easy, go-to recipe for those who need to bake a quick and simple dessert for a party, pot luck, or a pleasant surprise for family and friends.
For this recipe, I added a tad bit less sugar and changed the flavor. Vanilla is also optional. If you prefer a sweeter taste, add in more sugar and if you prefer another flavor other than strawberry rhubarb, you can experiment with many others. If you don’t like chunks, feel free to puree the pie filling further. Also, add a tad bit more pie filling if you want a more fruity flavor.
(Adapted from Blueberry Mochi found in Hawaii’s Best Mochi Recipes by Jean Watanabe Hee).
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup)
- 1 (16 oz) box mochiko rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk (regular)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- dash vanilla (optional)
- 1 can strawberry rhubarb pie filling
- Microwave butter for 30 seconds. Continue with 15 second intervals until melted. Cool.
- Add all dry ingredients together (mochiko, sugar, baking powder) in a bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, add evaporated milk, 4 beaten eggs, dash of vanilla and mix together.
- Add wet ingredients into dry mixture
- Add cooled melted butter into mixture and mix well
- Fold in strawberry rhubarb pie filling
- Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or tooth comes out clean
- Let cool for best results