Although I haven’t had major pregnancy cravings, I have been obsessed with shortbread cookies for the entire month.
If you’ve ever had shortbread from Big Island Candies, School Kine Cookies, or Honolulu Cookie Company, you’ll understand my desperate need for these buttery delights.
If only they would release their secret recipe …
For now, here’s a simple, easy-to-do basic shortbread recipe adapted from kokolikes.com
I am looking to create a softer, more “fluffy” version with cornstarch and powdered sugar, but this one is a basic one that anyone can do. I chose to use unsalted butter for a sweeter effect and added vanilla.
A simple, basic shortbread recipe.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-2 tsp. vanilla
- Semisweet chocolate chips (optional for dipping)
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla
- Combine salt and flour and whisk to ensure even distribution
- Mix all ingredients together by hand
- Press into 9-inch parchment lined pan
- Use fork to poke holes on top of shortbread
- Bake at 300 for 45 minutes or until golden brown
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Cut into squares while still warm
Dip into sweet-semi chocolate for an extra kick of sweetness