As my month long obsession with shortbread continues, I am certain my taste-testing friends and family are sick of shortbread by now. However, my goal to perfect my shortbread continues.
Although a basic shortbread is a treat, there’s nothing like chocolate-dipped shortbread that is crisp and baked to a worthy golden brown (and in the shape of hearts for max cuteness).
While these cookies were quite simple to do, I’m still on the hunt for a more fluffy, softer version like the ones I grew up with … For now, these will do and fulfill my pregnancy cravings for short bread.
(adapted from kokolikes.com)
Dip cookies in semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla
- Whisk flour and salt together
- Combine ingredients by hand and knead dough in bowl
- Chill for 20 minutes
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4 - 1/2 inch consistency
- Use heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out shapes
- Place each heart onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet
- Use fork to prick top of cookies (to help steam escape)
- Bake cookies at 325 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown